PlaySpace Project FAQ
Have you heard about the Playspace Project?
This year the Westglen Parent Association (a group of parents who raise money for things like field trips and ipads) is raising money for the Playspace Project. We wanted to let you know more about what this is and how you can help!
What is the Playspace Project?
The Playspace Project has two goals: to create a new outdoor learning space, and to build a new Div II play space.
What is an outdoor learning space?
It can mean a lot of different things, but most importantly it’s a space where you can experiment and learn – and maybe get your hands dirty! – while doing subjects from science, to art, to writing outside. It will probably have plants and bugs and rocks. It will NOT have desks! All Westglen classes – Kindergarten through Grade 6 – will be able to use this space.
We’re not sure yet – the exact design will be chosen by a group of students, parents, and teachers next year. But we do know that it will be bigger and better than before. It will be designed especially for older kids – kids who like to climb higher and go faster, but also kids who want to hang out with their friends and be creative. It will look different than any of the other playgrounds in Westmount.
When will the play space and outdoor learning space be ready?
We will be working together this school year to raise money to pay for this project. We are pursuing corporate donations and waiting on grant applications, but finalized plans and tendering of the project should occur in spring 2020, with the funds raised.
Does that mean that if I’m in grade 5 or 6 I won’t get to use the new play space?
If you’re in grade 5 or 6, you probably remember when the Playspace Project began, and many of you helped out with bottle drives and other fundraisers. The play space likely won’t be entirely finished while you’re still a Westglen student, and we understand if you’re disappointed about that. But we would still love your support, and here’s why we hope you’ll help:
- The new Playspace will be a great place to hang out with friends, even when you’re not a Westglen student anymore!
- Grades 4-6 students will have the chance to give design ideas in the spring; you’re the ones who will help decide what the space should look like.
- Did you like being a Westglen student? This would be an amazing way to make Westglen an even greater place for kids in the future. Everyone who donates to this project will have the chance to have their name included on a plaque: you could go down in history!
What can I do to help?
- Share your ideas about what would make the Playspace and Outdoor Learning Space really great! Send us an email at the address below or attend a design session in the spring.
- Talk to your parents about how you can save or raise money to donate to the Playspace Project.
Let us know if you have questions or ideas. Thanks for your help!
Danielle Reese and Mary-Ann Lingwood
Co-Chairs, Playspace Committee of the Westglen Parent Association